Thursday 28 April 2011

Coca museum.

As mentioned in yesterdays bloging I went to visit the coca museum. I had read about it in lonely planet and searched for it the other day but was unsuccessful. Following a tip of from another traveler I managed to track it down. Its signposted alright, but you would only notice it if you were a giant. It was all the way up the wall. Anyways, the museum was quite interesting, took about 1.5 hours to get all the way round. There was a lot of reading to do, luckily they had a translated manuscript for gringos like me. Don't get me wrong, I have enough Spanish to get bye, but when I'm faced with a wall of text its a bit hard. The tour gave a lot of information on the traditional uses of the coca leaf all the way up to its synthetic uses in modern medicines. One interesting part was the bit where they gave information on the medicinal uses from thousands of years ago. As well as a full rundown of the development of cocaine and its notorious reputation world wide. one interesting statistic: America represents 5% of the worlds population and apparently consume 50% of the worlds cocaine. Says a little bit about western culture I think.
Today I tracked down the super market to bye some snacks, it took like 3 hours to get there and back! I see why this hostel hasn't bother with a communal kitchen, its much more convenient and probably cheaper buying you meals from the hostel or locally.
Tomorrow I plan on visiting a few museums in the north of the city, apparently they can all be done in a few hours. There about the history of La Paz and its indigenous population, as well as having gold and silver artifacts. Should be interesting. Sorry about there being no pictures for today, the museum wouldn't allow photography.
If its worth blogging  I'll  have another short piece to read tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment