Friday 13 May 2011

End of week 1.

So this week has been well HARD! the construction is way more hardcore then I was expecting 5 hours in the desert perched on a hillside under a hole in the ozone layer mashing boulders with sledge hammers.


Hardcore I know. So Ive spent the week dusty and covered in dirt, but its pretty rewarding to see the area the tanks are going to be built on slowly developing. As mentioned 2 of the volunteers have been sick for this weeks work (Clair and Micaela) so its been just me john Joan and Cariell. "Good workers according to the local labourers we have been working with. So today (Friday) the local company didn't deliver the materials for us to begin building so the 4 of us plus Pat, he overseas and gets stuck in with the work were doing, went and painted one of the other tanks,finished recently by another group of volunteers. Got quite blue with paint, luckily I was wearing a ragged pair of MC hammer trousers over my jeans, good for the paint but bloody hot! So as mentioned Ive had quite a bad chest infection, this coupled with the back breaking work has turned into a deadly combo of torn back muscled sending me into spasms when I cough, I'm alive tho. Tonight the plan is a group dinner with the other volunteers in a local pizza place, then a pub quiz, then experience a bit of decent Arquipian night culture, should be fun, however I cant drink being on the antibiotics, energy drinks it is. For the weekend myself and some of the other volunteers are going to the beach on our days off, will be nice to have a good old swim as Ive been missing it since Santa Cruz. this weekend is much deserved as we are all feeling the strain of working as hard labourers. but on the bright side when this tank is built it will provide over 50 families with running water all through the day, in contrast to them having to travel quite far and then bring the water in bots up quite a large hill. So bring on next weeks work is what i say! that's all for now as i am smelly and dusty and need to get myself ready for the night ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment